Wednesday, November 16, 2011

5 Ways to Save Money as a College Student

It’s that time of year again: Thousands of college students are returning to campus, looking for another year of education. Of course, college tuition is expensive, and there are other costs associated with attending university. No matter the costs, though, there are ways to save money. Here are 5 ways you can save money as a college student:

1. Avoid Buying New Textbooks

This is a time honored method of saving money while attending university. I might have bought one textbook new during my entire university career (and that includes my time as a Masters student). More good news: You do not have to rely on the college bookstore for your used books. My husband orders all of his books used on Amazon, for less than used books in the bookstore. You can also check textbook exchanges at your school. These are available on student boards, and some exchanges can even be found online. It is also possible to rent textbooks now, but you will not be able to sell them back at the end of the semester, recouping some of your outlay.

2. Work in Food Service

Having the right job can save you money on food. When I worked in the university cafeteria, I was allowed one free meal at the end of my shift. Since my shift was dinner, I saved money on food for the most expensive meal of my day. Sometimes, if I stopped by at the end of lunch, the cooks would give me free lunch leftovers as well. As a waitress at a local restaurant I didn’t get free meals, but I did eat for half off. With the right job, you can make money and get some of your food for free, reducing what you need to spend at the grocery store. Read More.....
You may also read: 

No comments:

Post a Comment